OVERVIEW: The City of Union seeks an organized and detail oriented individual to fill the role of City Clerk. Under the administrative direction from the Communications Director/Assistant CAO, this full-time position is responsible for the maintenance and safekeeping of the permanent records of the City of Union, which include but are not limited to ordinances, resolutions, executive orders, and municipal orders. The City Clerk will act as the official custodian of municipal records under the Kentucky Open Records Act, publishing various legal advertisements, and providing legal notices as required by law.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: Compensation for this position ranges from $40,000 – $50,000 per year and will be dependent upon qualifications.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES INCLUDE:
- serves as a custodian of official city records and public documents;
- creates and maintains a proper filing system in accordance with KY state law
- seals and attests by signature to ordinances, resolutions, and contracts, easements, deeds, bonds or other documents requiring city certification;
- helps to prepare tax bills for printing, mailing and distribution; process and record tax payments; Issue letters of delinquency;
- responds to and directs citizen complaints and inquiries to appropriate departments and municipal agencies in a professional manner;
- assists in the maintenance of minutes and preparation of agendas of all official city meetings by request;
- assists the city of fulfilling all open meeting requirements and aids in advertising legal notices of public hearings and special meetings;
- prepares notices for bid publications and legal notices; maintain personnel records;
- assists with grant identification and reporting per City Administrative Officer (CAO) requests;
- provides public records and information to citizens, civic groups, the media and other agencies as requested;
- assists the Communications Director and CAO upon request, helps with and attends City events, and takes on projects as assigned with minimal project supervision;
- attends Commission meetings and works with staff to help create the agenda and final packet for said meetings;
- completes duties as assigned.
OTHER JOB DUTIES:
Willingness to obtain certification and act as a public notary; Administer Oaths of Office as needed; Assist with transactions and problem solving concerning Rice Cemetery, issue deeds and plot availability; willingness to train on tax software (Pontum); Read, sort, distribute, and file all mail and correspondence from citizens and other governmental agencies; Meet required deadlines, and work independently with integrity; Serve as the office assistant performing tasks such as data entry, filing, copying, and drafting letters; Attend related training meetings or conferences as requested.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: It is recommended that the candidate will have a High School and/or post-secondary education. Related City Clerk and/or Administrative Assistance experience is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- General knowledge of federal, state, and local laws, ordinances, and public record retention
- Have or be willing to seek the Kentucky Municipal Clerk’s Certification
- Ability to maintain records and files efficiently and accurately
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other city employees and officers, government agencies, and the public
- Ability to perform general office tasks such as typing, filing and computer-entry
- Ability to use office equipment and proficiency with Microsoft programs
- Must possess a valid driver’s license or can obtain one, prior to employment
WORKING CONDITIONS: Must be bondable. Must be able to obtain the designation of Notary Public from the State of Kentucky. Usage of personal vehicle will be required upon occasion and mileage will be reimbursable. Open meetings will often require attendance during the evening hours. This position is scheduled for a minimum of 35 hours per week.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear, use hands to handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk, attend community events, and must occasionally lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
DISCLAIMER: The duties listed hereinabove are intended as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the City of Union and employee. The position is subject to change based upon the talents of the employee over time or by the City as it sees fit.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references to [email protected] with a title of “City Clerk” in the subject field by 12:00 pm on September 30, 2021. Applications can be picked up and dropped off at the City of Union City Building at 1843 Bristow Drive (formerly Mt. Zion Road) Union, KY 41091.
The City of Union reserves the right to move forward with any application received and the position will remain open until filled.