Communications / Assistant City Administrative Officer (CAO)
OVERVIEW: Under the general administrative direction from the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), this full-time position requires a dynamic person willing to remain creative and flexible to meet the demands confronting the city. It will predominantly be responsible for event planning and city communication functions; however, this position will also assist the CAO in special projects, writing of minutes, general administrative work and duties where assigned.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: Compensation for this position ranges from $40,000 – $65,000 per year and will be dependent upon qualifications. Health benefits are negotiable upon employment.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
• Coordinate the City’s Communications function. This includes but is not limited to keeping the city in compliance with open meetings requirements (KRS 61.805 to 61.850), publishing of legal notices, operating all the city’s social media platforms, the city’s website, and staying on top of emerging problems on social media for Union and our immediate municipal neighbors.
• Coordinate and oversee management of city sponsored events such as but not limited to Breakfast with Santa, Union Celebrates America, Easter with Union and will continually seek new opportunities, events, and partnerships to extend the scope and reach of these activities.
• Assists the CAO upon request and will take on projects as assigned with minimal project supervision.
• Will work with the Communications Committee and Communications Commissioner. In addition, this position will provide support to the other committees and will produce minutes when appropriate for each.
• Supervise the City Clerk function. The City Clerk function will certify all legislation resulting from Commission Meetings, meets advertising requirements of any passed ordinances and helps maintain municipal records. Writes minutes for approval and will post approved minutes online and properly file among office records.
• Attends Commission meetings and works with staff to help create the agenda and final packet for said meetings.
OTHER JOB DUTIES: Communicates accurately and professionally with other city employees, government agencies and the public. Greets visitors to the building, answers phones and inquiries when available. Performs general office tasks such as data entry, filing, copying, drafting letters, proofread documents etc. Assists in receiving tax payments and responds to occasional citizen complaints. Will provide support to the Rice Cemetery Sexton upon request. Assists in purchase of necessary equipment and supplies to the office.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: It is recommended that the candidate will have post-secondary education in Public Administration, Journalism, Marketing, Informatics, Communications, Public Relations and/or a related field and is supplemented with experience. Training in computer science, informatic procedures and or one (1) to three (3) years of experience in Website Management is strongly recommended. A four-year college degree is a plus for this position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• General knowledge of federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
• Ability to maintain records efficiently and accurately.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other city employees and officers, government agencies and the public.
• Familiar with aspects of social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and email blast systems).
• Familiarity or willingness to learn software such as Photoshop and/or Adobe Illustrator.
• Ability to analyze situations and act quickly and efficiently.
• Ability to perform general office tasks such as typing, filing and computer-entry.
• Familiar with common office equipment and basic tools.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license or can obtain one, prior to employment.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Must be bondable. Must be able to obtain the designation of Notary Public from the State of Kentucky. Usage of personal vehicle will be required upon occasion and mileage will be reimbursable. Open meetings will often require attendance during the evening hours. This position is scheduled for a minimum of 35 hours per week.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear, use hands to handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk, attend community events, and must occasionally lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
DISCLAIMER: The duties listed hereinabove are intended as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the City and employee. The position is subject to change based upon the talents of the employee over time or by the City as it sees fit.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references to [email protected] with a title of “Communications/Assistant CAO” in the subject field by 12:00 pm on April 21st. Applications can be picked up and dropped off at the City of Union City Building at 1843 Bristow Drive (formerly Mt. Zion Road) Union, KY 41091. The City of Union reserves the right to move forward with any application received and the position will remain open until filled
For Immediate Release
The City of Union is seeking a creative and flexible individual to help meet the demands confronting the city. This position will handle all city communications functions which includes basic web development, social media and community relations. In addition, this position will increasingly be responsible for the planning and implementation of Union’s events and will work closely with Commission committees and the Administrative Officer.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references to [email protected] with a title of “Communications/Assistant CAO” in the subject field by 12:00 pm on April 21st. Applications can be picked up and dropped off at the City of Union City Building at 1843 Bristow Drive (formerly Mt. Zion Road) Union, KY 41091.